Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mt. Vernon

This week was super hard for me.  There are lots of kids that are just mean.  So I was really looking forward to the weekend!

Friday we had a night in watching GATTACA...I had to watch it to prepare for school next week.

Then Saturday we went to Mt. Vernon with my BYU student teachers program!  We met at Crystal City at 9 am and Becky, my adviser, picked us up.  Mt. Vernon was awesome!  Billy got to come with me too which was great.  We learned so much about George Washington, his life, his family, his interests, and his whole history!  It was amazing!

I had fun popping up next to all these statues of fake George Washingtons


 We just thought this was hilarious...looks like George Washington's horse is kicking that guy in the crotch haha!



After this little museum we ate lunch, then headed over to the house!

The whole group and the mansion...


George Washington's gardens


Awesome trees

We got to see the slave quarters, hear from an actress Mrs. Washington, and get a tour of the house.  Then we went out to the back to see the same view of the Potomac that George Washington saw every day.


Back of the house


 Sorry about my bad posture...yuck (and I have gloves in my pocket)...I just love that tree!

Then we went and saw where George Washington and Martha Washington are laid.  George Washington specified in his will that he wanted to be buried at home in Mt. Vernon rather than under the Capitol building which is cool.

George Washington! (and Martha on the left)



After seeing the tomb we went back to another museum that had a bunch of artifacts from the house.  We got to see some real clothes that George Washington wore!  And real jewelry that Martha wore.  And a bunch of other cool things from the house.  I think that was my favorite part of the day.  Then we were done and we went back to Crystal city.  Me and Billy decided to go to Costco and then out to eat :)  Super fun day!  I love George Washington!

2 comments:

  1. That picture of the guy getting kicked in the crotch? Let's just say that his face is the best part about the painting. It's almost like he's thinking, "uhhhh I'm so tired and weak. Help my frail body. All I've eaten today is a bagel." No doubt, Mr. Burnes from the simpsons was written after him. Also, I love that red coat. And I want to come see you two. I hope to sleep in the same room as the cat, preferably with my sheets covered in cat hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lived really close to Mt. Vernon! So fun and you look so pretty in your red coat!

    ReplyDelete