Monday, September 26, 2011

Bug trip

So, after much prayer and indecisiveness, I decided it would be best if I went on my bug class' field trip to southern Utah/ Nevada/ Arizona to catch bugs.  It was Thursday 8 am- Saturday 10 pm.  It was really long.  And really gross.  But it ended up being way fun and I caught a ton of good bugs which was great.

Thursday started with us driving out to Leeds.  We spent 3 hours at one spot, and everyone was super gross after that.  Then we went to our campsite, and caught more bugs there.  I got eaten ALIVE by the mosquitoes holy cow!  It was fun getting to know the people in my class.  In the middle of the night that night, this girl who I was sharing a tent with shot out of her sleeping bag and whispered "hey, are either of you guys awake?"  I was awake because I don't think I slept at all the whole weekend.  So I said "yeah whats up?"  and she said "there are 2 HUGE bugs in this tent.  I think they are dragonflies, but I'm not sure.  I don't have my net or any of my gear"  then I started freaking out and said, "ok, well I have a vial, are you sure they're bugs?"  and she was like "yeah, pretty sure" and she turned on her flashlight and lo and behold they were just little ribbony things that were part of the tent.  Hahahahah so funny.  But it wasn't very funny in the middle of the night.

Friday was another long day of being stinky and gross and driving around for hours to spots to catch bugs.  I got horribly sunburned on my neck.  It was fun though.  We had girl talk that night which was way fun, I felt like I was back at girls camp :)  Saturday I woke up feeling exceptionally gross, and we had a long day of driving and collecting to do.  We eventually started on our way home, stopping at a few random gas stations to catch some of these guys that hang out in Arizona around gas station's fluorescent lights...
super gross, huh?  Well, we got a bunch of them and I currently have one pinned in my collection :)

Here's my current collection, I still have pretty much all the bugs from my trip still to pin...I put a quarter in the bottom left corner for size comparison.  (Sorry the picture is sideways, for some reason it wouldn't let me turn it!)
So we stopped at Mom's Cafe in Salina for dinner on our way home.  It was out of the way and everyone in my car was grumpy we weren't just going straight home.  We got home around 11:20 pm and then I went home and took the best shower of my life.

Anyways, sorry to bore those of you who didn't want to read this, just had to blog about it because it was so traumatic :)  I'm glad I went though!  Sorry there aren't pictures from the trip, I had my camera but didn't really want to document how gross I was.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very gross experience, overall. But like a lot of things, it was worth it to go through all that pain. P.S. Bugs are gross. You totally rock for seeing this through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a sweet trip! Hope your neck isn't getting all peely and gross! Sorry I didn't send you that caterpillar Maddison and I found, it would have looked prettier in your collection than squished on the ground by that bully of a stroller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! This was an awesome post. I also read your September happenings. I laughed out loud at the "weirdos" comment. Truly they are!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see your scorpion in your collection. Did it survive the trip back to Utah? I'll bet nobody else has one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, the scorpion is not supposed to be pinned, but kept in alcohol so it's still in the jar. It looks good!
    - Billy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the funniest post I've read in awhile. haha. I love how every other sentence went from disgust to but it was fun. And sooo random I'm just laughing out loud...bug trip. By the way our friend caught a bug that's kind of neat. Do you want us to send it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha Kara thanks! and YES send it to me!! I need cool bugs...and not cool bugs. just all bugs.

    ReplyDelete