Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Field Botany

Have you ever wondered what the Latin family name, genus name, species name, and common name are for every tree and/or shrub that you ever see ever anytime you are anywhere? Me either.

BUT fortunately I am currently enrolled in Field Botany! So I am lucky enough to be able to know these 4 things about each and every living tree or shrub EVER! Not really, just 250 trees and shrubs, but that is still a lot and most of them we find on BYU campus...therefore I know pretty much every plant on campus. Who knew there was such variety and thought that goes into the landscape of BYU?


Here is my lovely collection of my notecards so far:



We have 72 plants that we have collected around campus so far. And I know them all. Even ask Billy.


I had a nightmare the other night that I forgot to study for my plants quiz and was frantically trying to remember plant names while asleep.


That pine you see...family name: Pinaceae. Genus: Abies. Species: Concolor. Common: White fir. I know 72 of those. Boo-yah.

Fortunately, it's a block class, so it will be over at the end of October. I am so excited for when it's over! Then life can go back to normal and Billy doesn't have to stay up and help me study every night/fall asleep on the couch waiting for me to be done studying :)


Such a cutie :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I have been missing hearing from you and now I know why. I thought I had lost you to marriage, but I lost you to Field Botany!! Way to get super smart! Congrats on knowing all those names. And, Billy is such a champ to help/wait up for you :). Sure love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of when Karen was studying for her Master Gardener certification - she had two large notebooks of that stuff. She was studying note cards and speaking Latin.

    So, Billy is keeping up his guitar! Glad to see it.

    ReplyDelete