Sunday, January 27, 2013

Presidential Inauguration

Last weekend we decided to brave the presidential inauguration at the Capitol building!  We figured this was a once in a lifetime experience and we should go...even if it wasn't our ideal president choice :)  All of Billy's fellow interns were planning on spending the night at the Senate office and heading to the inauguration early Monday morning.  We thought we didn't really want to spend the night and would just head down to DC early on Monday but we were told by several people not to even risk riding the metro on Monday because it was going to be crazy.  So we decided to spend the night in the office!

We ordered pizza and had soda and ice cream and had a party all night!  Making a cup tower:
Yep it was an exciting party :)

Actually, around 11:15 at night, Senator Lee came by the office to pick something up so we all got to meet him!  None of the interns had met him yet, and I got to meet him too which was fun.  I got introduced as Greg's cousin which might have put me in the Senator's good graces since he really likes Greg.  I felt really lucky that I was hanging out in a Senator's office chatting with a Senator for the United States!!  Super cool.

We slept for a few hours on cots that night, and headed to the inauguration at about 7:30 in the morning.  It was SO crowded and pretty cold.  We had to head to our ticket section, then wait in line forever to get through security.


Then we found out that our section was all full so we had to go in the overflow section, but then another area magically opened up so people started running closer.  We were getting pushed around so much...I probably could have just lifted my legs off the ground and been carried.  At one point I was being pushed on all sides so hard and one of Billy's fellow interns was on my left pushing me and he yelled "this is crazy!  And there's no one on my left!"  I was like what?  hahaha then why are you pushing me so hard?  It was so funny to me.  Anyways, we got to a much closer spot which was nice...but we were still super far away :)

Our first spot...

New spot...


It was really fun being there with all of my fellow Americans!  After the inauguration we got pushed around for a while trying to get back to the Senate office :)  We saw a really big protest in one intersection where people were laying in the middle of the street with fake blood all over them...it was pretty gruesome.  It was a protest against drones flying in planes or something.  Very interesting.  Then we went home and took long naps :)

God bless America!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment