Friday, October 3, 2014

Derek's Homecoming!

Derek got home from his mission on June 13th and I was so glad we were able to be there!  The morning of his homecoming we all went to the beach as a fam, so fun!  It was super fun relaxing as a fam and seeing Dad go catch some waves and snap the boogie board haha!  After the beach we got all cleaned up and we went to get some San Diego sea food downtown before heading to the airport. 

Beachin'.  I got in the water which was FREEZING!  But I always am so glad when I build up the courage to get in.

Slabs of fish at Blue Water seafood restaurant

Thought this was funny--they were out of shark unfortunately

My shrimp and halibut tacos...delish!

Jayce was thoroughly enjoying his first ever bites of fish.  He might have just been trying to get attention or be like Dad or something, but it was fun.

I'm so mean in my picture taking

Love my fam!

Cute little place
Onto the big homecoming!  I had made some posters earlier in the day so we had some to hold for Derek at the airport.  Uncle John also let us borrow his "Welcome Home Elder Sutherland" banner that he used for cousin Blake.  It was super exciting seeing Derek walk to the escalator and come down!  It was pretty surreal, I kind of forgot that Derek was a real person!  He was pretty awkward, we all were, because we didn't know what to do or say.  Derek did inform us that he placed one last Book of Mormon on the plane.  Woop woop!  I was joking around with Derek a bit but he didn't get it.  It was pretty weird haha.

Waiting around

Nervous/excited!

He's baaaack!

Giant and midget



Awkwardly back home

One of our awesome posters, drawn by yours truly, colored by Jayce face

Super thrilled.  Dad in the background holding poster high.



Creepy me


So excited
It was great!  Derek seemed to adjust really quickly.  He spent the next few days on the computer, adding Facebook friends and pictures and catching up in the sports world.  He didn't miss a beat on that.  It was fun to have him back and readjust the family dynamic slightly!  Now it seems like he never left!

1 comment:

  1. You're so funny, I love it! The brother shots are my favorite! And that poster you made was kind of a last minute thing and it turned out so cute! What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete