Friday, October 17, 2014

Grad School

  Hey this is Billy.  I apologize in advance for how boring this post will be to read, but I wanted to make this post so I remember what it was like to start grad school.  I'll try to make it fun to read though! 
  Two weeks before school started we had "Foundations" which was like an orientation type thing to get to know the campus, the other incoming students and also to take some crash courses in Excel and Economics to get us ready for classes.  We also did this really big group project called the G5 Summit which was kind of reminded me of a model UN type thing.  Monday through Friday we were kept busy from 8am until about 8:45pm and on Saturday we went from 8am to 5pm.  We were organized into cohorts and I was put with the Hawks.  Caitlin thought it was funny like EFY when she came to the closing ceremony of Foundations because each cohort had their own cohort shirt and chant, and we had to do our chants a lot that night.
  The first module has gone by pretty fast and I just finished finals yesterday! I really like Thunderbird.  I'm learning a lot and I feel that I am being prepared to have a really good career.  Here are some pictures from school, mostly from Foundations.  The skateboarding pictures and the marketing group picture are from after Foundations during the normal term.
Hawks Cohort
Bottom: Lucas Mohammad, Jessica, Jonaki, Nikita, Luca, Victoria, Pallavi. Top: Braden, Carlos, Laura, Scott, Gloria, Ruowei, me.
I was trying not to land in the water.  Nailed it!
We had to dress business casual everyday except for College shirt day where we wore shirts from our undergrad universities.  We also did a scavenger hunt-type team competition that we won!
Pizza party after the festivities of College Shirt Day.
Here's a weird cohort group selfie
G5 Summit group: Kim Jong Hwa, Remi, Aayush, Shawn, me, Caroline, Roger, Jempsy
One morning, the cohort group leaders took us outside for a "group photo", but really it was to watch them dance.  Maybe another EFY type thing?
Here are a lot of my classmates
Foundations closing ceremonies.  Our cohort won an award and we had to go on stage and do our chant.
Hawks cohort.  During the last day we had team competitions which involved water which is why we're wearing board shorts.
Scott from my cohort is from San Diego and likes to surf and skateboard, so we went skating at the local park one day after classes.  We were planning on starting a skateboard club at school, but felt overwhelmed by our workload from classes.  Maybe we'll start up ThunderSkate during a different term.
Not to brag, but this photo was reposted by Thunderbird's Instagram as the photo of the week...
Marketing group presentation on Volvo.  Someone in class took this picture and sent it to us and pointed out that we had lined up gray to black.  So from gray to black it's Jorge, Harsh, Christian, Yash and me.

1 comment:

  1. So dang proud of you, Billy! It looks like you have a great group of people to work with. And Thunderbird sounds awesome! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete