Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Ford's Theatre and other stuff

This past weekend we decided to get some major sight seeing done since it was our last weekend here!  (We are going to New York this coming weekend, and then we leave...whaaat?!)

Friday was my last day of student teaching!!!!!!  It was very exciting.  I had brought candy for the kids which ended up being very chaotic at school.  I thought I would be sad walking out of there...but nope I was pretty darn happy!  I will miss some of the kids though...but definitely not some of them :)  We celebrated that night by doing our taxes ha.

Saturday we started early with a visit for Ford's Theater!  It was great.  I finally learned all about John Wilks Booth and the story behind why he shot Lincoln.  Embarrassing that I never knew.  There was an awesome museum and then we were taken into the actual theater for one of the workers to tell us the whole story of the night Lincoln was shot.  It was great.  We did the audio tour...that's what those things are around our necks.  The audio tour was great and so informative!


The theater

The presidential box where Lincoln was shot.


Woo!  Lincoln!

Metal statue of Lincoln and me

Billy peeking over Lincoln's shoulder to find out what's so interesting

This is the actual gun John Wilks Booth shot Lincoln with!  We weren't allowed to take pictures...but I did anyways heheheehe (without a flash).  There is a statue reflecting in the glass, not a ghost.

Thought this shirt was funny.  "That was so four score and seven years ago"

Lincoln hat

After Ford's Theater we were super hungry.  I really wanted the blueberry buckwheat pancakes from Eastern Market again...so that's where we went!  We ran into like a million people we know which was cool.  Not a million, just a couple from our ward and then a couple from Billy's internship.


Yummmm...I want those right now.  After breakfast (at like noon) we walked around Eastern Market for a while.  Then we headed to the national archives!  And got lost along the way...but eventually we found it.  We got to see the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.  It was so super cool.  Of course we weren't allowed to take pictures, so I didn't.  It was awesome being able to see those original documents!

After the archives we didn't really know what to do.  So we took a snack break then headed to the National Marine memorial, or Iwo Jima memorial in Arlington.  We've been wanting to see that one for a while.  It did not disappoint!  So cool.

Look how big it is!  I didn't think it was going to be that big.  Cool view of the Capitol and Washington monument in the background too.
 


Getting artsy fartsy


Me photobombing this picture

Love the light shining through the flag...I love America!

After that, we realized we were only a mile away from Georgetown!  So we decided to walk there (Georgetown doesn't have a metro stop because they are too ritzy and didn't want a dirty metro in their town, so there is no way to access it except by car or bus).  It was SO crowded down there!  I had heard all about the cupcake places there, so I was eager to try one :)  We went to a place called Baked and Wired and man oh man my cupcake was to die for!

Here is the sign and a lady's head.  I didn't even take a picture of my cupcake because I devoured it without even thinking about documenting it!

Georgetown was cute but way overcrowded and had a ritzy feel to it so we kind of felt out of place.  We hopped on a bus and got out of there pretty quick.

We just headed back to Silver Spring after that.  It was a busy day and we were super worn out afterwards!  We walked so much!  But we checked a lot of things off the list that we were wanting to do so that was good!

2 comments:

  1. man you guys stay busy! Very nice statue pics. I wish I could see your cupcake! Boo! Maybe we can try recreating. you didn't even say what kind it was! I'm curious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really great artsy fartsy pictures. I read a book about Iwo Jima that I still remember every time I see that statue. I really, really, really, really, really want to have those pancakes again. I wonder if I can figure out how to make them...

    ReplyDelete